Hub contributor and Birkbeck alumnus Emma Henderson has been short-listed for this year's Orange Prize for Fiction for her debut novel Grace Williams Says it Loud, one of three first novels on the list. Grace Williams Says it Loud is the story of a severely handicapped young girl, told, uniquely, from the point of view of Grace herself. To read an extract click here.
The full short list is as follows:
- Emma Donoghue (Irish) - Room; Picador; 7th Novel
- Aminatta Forna (British/Sierra Leonean) - The Memory of Love; Bloomsbury; 2nd Novel
- Emma Henderson (British) - Grace Williams Says it Loud; Sceptre; 1st Novel
- Nicole Krauss (American) - Great House; Viking; 3rd Novel
- Téa Obreht (Serbian/American) - The Tiger’s Wife; Weidenfeld & Nicolson; 1st Novel
- Kathleen Winter (Canadian) - Annabel; Jonathan Cape; 1st Novel
The winner will be announced on 8 June.